Online Casino NZ
CasinoToplist offers a comprehensive comparison service for online casinos in New Zealand. We guide you through new casinos, casino bonuses, free spins, and everything else related to online gaming.
We've gathered experts that have extensive experience with online casinos to offer you a safe, informative, and smooth user experience.
- Compare casinos & find the best one for you
- Discover the best offers on the market
- Learn everything you need to know about online casinos in NZ
The Best NZ Online Casinos 2023
What You Should Consider When Choosing an NZ Online Casino Site
There are several factors to consider when choosing where to spend your money. This goes for any purchase you make, and is especially important when choosing an online casino in NZ. We've listed some of the most important variables below, that we believe you should take into consideration before signing up with any NZ online casino.
What Online Casino Games Do They Have?
Online casino games are what makes an online casino great.
If the real money casino games aren’t impressive, you can assume the online casino isn't going to be that good.
First, you want a substantial number of real-money casino games. For many it's important to not end up in a position where they're playing the same few online slots all the time with little variation.
You also need a variety of online casino game types.
Here are the main types of real money games you can find on online NZ casinos.
Online pokies are often the most extensive game offering at online casinos in NZ. They are very popular in NZ because they are easy to play, have various colourful and memorable themes and usually have low betting limits.
Several types of online pokies exist, including progressive jackpots, video slots and more. Progressive jackpots are popular because the total amount you can win increases incrementally each time.
Most online casinos will have “featured” and “most popular” sections for their online pokies so you can see the pokies that players love the most. Additionally, if you don’t want to use real money to test out one of the online pokies, they usually have a demo mode, so you can play them without placing money down.
There are also table games to look out for, usually fewer than online pokies, but you can find more variety. Here are the types of table games typically in an online casino in NZ:
- Poker – variations of this include Texas Hold Em, Five Card Draw, Chinese Poker and more. Most online NZ casinos also have video poker games.
- Blackjack – Variations of this include Classic Blackjack, Lightning Blackjack and more.
- Roulette – European roulette games are often on online casinos in NZ.
Along with online casino games, most online casino sites will have live casino games. For example, if you love poker, you should look for an online casino with live dealer casino games. These live dealer games involve entering a live stream and playing poker like you’re in a real casino.
You can also find live dealer games for Blackjack and Roulette on many casino sites.
Does the Quality of an Online Casino’s Game Developers Matter?
You can determine if an online casino in NZ has excellent online casino games by looking at the list of game developers.
A high-quality online casino will have a list of game providers on their website for you to look at; if you can’t find a list, the online casino games will likely be of low quality.
Other casinos like Jackpot City Casino will use one highly reputable provider, Microgaming, for all their online pokies.
You need to check the games page on the online casino website to see who makes their games.
Are They a Secure and Trustworthy Online Casino?
Online casinos in New Zealand may have bright colours and promise a lucrative welcome bonus, but they must be trustworthy sites to be worth your time.
Therefore, you must look into the online casino’s security and fair gaming practices to see if they are safe and fair.
If you can’t find this information on the online casino and the customer support team can’t provide further insight, you should avoid it.
What Security Measures Do They Have?
Security for an online casino is the crucial element that protects your personal and financial data.
The leading software that online casinos in New Zealand use is encryption technology. Usually, online casinos will use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) encryption to provide a secure virtual barrier during the transmission of information between casino servers and your device.
Online casinos in New Zealand also use secure payment pages so that cybercriminals cannot intercept payments.
Some online casinos also have verification procedures when logging into your online casino account. For example, they may ask for a driving licence number to identify you.
Are the Online Casino Games Fair for Players?
As well as protecting player data, ensuring that the games are fair for players is an essential practice for online casinos.
You can check if an online NZ casino is fair by checking for a license. For example, if you read that an online casino in NZ has a licence from the Malta Gaming Authority, they are a secure and fair site.
The Malta Gaming Authority regulates New Zealand online casinos to ensure they have sufficient security measures and technology for providing fair games.
An example of technology that can make casino games more fair for players is a Random Number Generator (RNG); this ensures that the winning numbers for games are always completely random, so every player has the same chance to win.
Does the Online Casino Have a Good Selection of Bonuses?
Casino bonuses will likely be the first thing that catches your eye when you see an online casino, so you need to know what to look for.
Online casinos in NZ will all have a welcome bonus, and most will have other casino bonuses to ensure that players keep returning to the site.
What to Look Out for in an Online Casino’s Welcome Bonus?
A welcome bonus needs to give players a good incentive to start playing on the online casino site while offering them a good potential payout.
For example, expect a match deposit bonus for a certain amount of NZD. To find the best welcome bonus options, you should look for ones with a 100% deposit bonus; this means you get 100% of your deposit back as bonus money. Some welcome casino bonuses will be 50% or 75%.
Additionally, look out for bonuses split over more than one deposit. For example, the bonus amount may be larger, but it can split across your first three deposits, with some of the bonuses being a 75% or 50% match instead of 100%.
Another important thing you must look out for when assessing a welcome bonus is whether it comes with free spins. These can add extra value to a welcome bonus and get players stuck into online pokies on an online casino.
However, look in the T&Cs for free spins before committing to a specific site. For example, some free spins are only eligible for a particular slot, whereas others are for multiple online pokies or have no limit.
Finally, check the wagering requirements for the welcome bonus and free spins. Some online casinos in New Zealand will have larger wagering requirements (50x, for example), meaning you must play the bonus more times before withdrawing any money. Larger wagering requirements mean a lower chance of withdrawing high winnings.
Does the Online Casino Have Other Promotions?
online casino has other online casino bonuses available.
Here are some examples of other casino bonus options usually available:
- Weekly no-deposit bonuses – these are smaller than the welcome bonus and are usually available once weekly. These casino bonus types also have wagering requirements to meet before withdrawal.
- Free spins – some casinos offer weekly free spins or the chance to win free spins and free deposits by spinning a wheel.
- Reload bonus – These deposit bonuses encourage you to keep placing regular deposits.
- Cashback bonus – These are fantastic for players who are on a losing streak. The casino will give a specific percentage of your losses back to you.
- Referral bonus – Some NZ casino sites will offer you a deposit bonus or free spins if you refer a friend to the site. Your friend will also receive a bonus due to the referral.
- Tournaments – These aren’t the most frequent bonuses, but they do offer the highest payouts. Real-money online casinos in New Zealand will host these tournaments, with the main prize being a massive sum of cash.
- Birthday bonuses – Although less frequent among real-money online casinos in New Zealand, birthday bonuses can be an excellent reward for players who keep playing year after year.
- Bonuses for payment methods – Some casino sites will have bonuses when you deposit with a specific payment method. For example, depositing with Bitcoin can get you a match deposit bonus.
Although all of these bonuses are excellent and are worth looking out for before committing to a casino site, the most crucial casino bonus type to look out for is a VIP program.
You can enter a VIP program on a casino site and slowly earn points as you play. The more points you earn, the earlier you access the higher tiers.
Higher tiers on a VIP program will grant you access to multiple exclusive deposit bonuses and free spins. You also get VIP treatment like a personal account manager.
Not all real-money online casinos in New Zealand will have a VIP program, but they are an excellent addition worth looking for.
What Are the Payment Methods for the NZ Online Casino?
You may not look at payment methods in detail when looking for an online casino. You will likely check to see if they accept your payment methods and leave it there.
However, you should look further into the banking section on online casinos before making your choice.
One of the reasons why you should do this is to see the variety of payment methods on offer. Although Visa and Mastercard are on most of the casino sites in NZ, other options are always available.
Some of these include:
- Web wallets – These allow users to store money on a secure app rather than just in a bank account. Some of these include Neteller, Skrill and more.
- Cryptocurrency – These payment methods are becoming increasingly popular in NZ, with a few casino sites using them exclusively (Mr Bit Casino, for example). Examples include Bitcoin, Tether, Litecoin and more.
- Bank transfer – Some casinos offer this service, but remember that it usually takes significantly longer than other payment methods; processing a bank transfer withdrawal can take 3-5 working days.
As well as looking at the available payment methods, look further into the banking section.
You need to check the processing times for deposits and withdrawals. Usually, deposit processing times will be instant, but withdrawal times are the ones you need to look out for.
Every online casino will have a specific amount of time to assess a withdrawal after you submit one; this will be the same no matter what payment method you use. After this, your payment provider will have a processing time, which can vary, so check on the casino website and with your provider.
Does the Online Casino Have Hidden Fees?
Hidden fees will never be obvious when you look at payment methods on real-money online casinos in NZ, so you need to head to the terms and conditions to find them.
Some casinos may have a fee when depositing or withdrawing from the site, but not every casino, so you need to look out for the ones that don’t hide these extra payments from you.
Additionally, even if a New Zealand online casino has no hidden fees, your payment provider may have some if you withdraw over or under a certain amount. Because of this, you also need to check with your payment provider to see what fees you can incur.
Can You Pay in NZD on Every NZ Online Casino?
Most New Zealand online casino options will let you pay in NZD. Furthermore, when you sign up for the site, they will automatically set the payment method to NZD.
However, some New Zealand online casino sites won’t have NZD as a currency; this can be for many reasons, including:
- The online casino may have a global player base, so it makes sense for them to have more widely-used currencies like Euros.
- They may not meet licensing requirements to use NZD in their area.
- They may use payment methods that have limits on the currencies they can process.
You can find out if the casino site has NZD as a currency option by heading to the banking section or looking at the currency options during the sign-up process.
Does the NZ Online Casino have a Mobile App or Site?
While the desktop site will always be the best place for online gambling, many players will appreciate a mobile version because it is more easily accessible and perfect for online gambling on the go (during a long commute, for example).
Because of this, many of the best online casinos have mobile options for their players, but the amount of effort they put in can differ, so it’s worth looking into their mobile offerings before picking a site.
The ideal mobile offering from New Zealand online casino sites is a mobile app. You should seek these out because they are a dedicated mobile platform with a fully optimised system for mobile play. Mobile online gambling apps will have optimised menu pages, making them easy to use for mobile players.
However, mobile apps don’t always have all the casino games from the desktop version; the online casino will include information on their website about how extensive their casino game offering is.
The best online casinos will also have exclusive mobile app casino bonus options, like a specific welcome bonus or free spins for mobile casino games.
Additionally, most casino apps are available for download on iOS and Android devices.
If a casino site doesn’t have a mobile app, it will likely have a mobile site, which is an optimised version of the desktop site. It is worth looking at the mobile site to see if it works properly; a poorly optimised mobile site will be challenging to navigate, with menus in the wrong place or not visible on the homepage.
Thankfully, the casino games, welcome bonus and free spins will be the same as the desktop site.
Are There a Sufficient Number of Customer Support Channels on the NZ Online Casino?
If you are having issues while playing casino games on casino sites, you will want a sufficient number of effective customer support channels.
Therefore, when researching the best online casinos in NZ, you must head to their “Contact Us” page and look at the available contact methods.
The standard customer support methods you can find on online casino sites include:
- A live chat function – This is usually a small widget on an online casino’s homepage. Ask the NZ casino customer support team questions and get a quick response. It is often the fastest way to get a response.
- Email – This will be an email on the website or a submission form where you enter your name, email and message. Reserve this for problems that take longer to explain because email response times are usually longer, sometimes exceeding 24 hours.
- Phone number – This is the perfect contact method if you prefer directly talking to a customer support operator. You can avoid misinterpretation or confusion if you directly explain a problem to a customer support team member. However, many casino sites don’t have this option.
- FAQ page – While this won’t solve more complex issues, you can take out the waiting process by looking at an FAQ page if you have a simple question. Usually, these pages will only contain answers to the most common questions.
What Are the Current Trends for NZ Online Casinos in 2023?
Before you choose a casino site, you should be aware of the current trends in the industry.
Most trends revolve around game development because of the frequent innovations in that sector. Some of the biggest game development trends in online casinos include:
- Higher focus on mobile gaming. You are more likely to see more casino sites create mobile apps, so choosing a casino with an established app is wise.
- A heavier focus on aesthetics for live casino games. For example, live dealer games are trendy right now because they help create an atmosphere close to a physical casino.
- Web-based casino games are the most popular options for players because they don’t require downloads or separate software. Because of this, they make it easier for players to play more games and don’t break their immersion.
- AR and VR games. These are a newer trend that uses VR and AR technology to create immersive online gambling experiences.
How Do These Trends Affect NZ Players?
The primary way these trends will affect NZ players is that they will help to make the gambling experience as immersive as possible.
If you choose an online casino that implements new trends, you will experience multiple changes that make your experience more exciting and engaging.
How Can You Enjoy An NZ Online Casino Responsibly in 2023?
Once you have a casino site that meets all your expectations, you must remember to use it responsibly.
Thankfully, casinos in 2023 focus more on responsible gambling practices, with many having a section on their website.
However, setting some rules for yourself is good so you don’t become a problem gambler.
Engage in Responsible Gambling Practices
First, you need to ensure that you maintain responsibility when playing casino games. Online casinos will have some systems to help you do this, but you must also monitor your behaviour.
Set Gambling Limits for Yourself
Many online NZ casinos have a gambling limit system so you can set a limit for yourself. Doing this means you will get a notification when you are near your limit.
Gambling is at its most addictive when you are on a winning streak, so stopping can be challenging. Although you may win big on your next play, you have an equal chance to lose it all. Setting a gambling limit can stop you from doing this and potentially save you money.
Notice Signs of Problem Gambling in Your Behaviour
As well as using systems to set limits, you should learn to notice problem gambling behaviour in yourself and stop before you lose a lot of money.
Some examples of problem gambling behaviour include:
- Losing lots of money multiple times and failing to stop yourself.
- Neglecting your work and home responsibilities to gamble.
- Attempting to win back massive losses immediately.
- Lying to your family and friends about your gambling.
- Borrowing money from someone to fund your gambling.
Be as Secure as You Can While Playing on an NZ Online Casino
Security is just as important as responsibility when it comes to gambling online. If someone steals your financial information, they could steal all your money and winnings. Therefore, you must do what you can to secure your data.
For example, you could use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) to protect your network connection when you’re on a casino site. Doing this will help to prevent cybercriminals from accessing your information.
You should also create a strong password for your casino account. Do this by including the following in your password:
- Capital letters.
- Lowercase letters.
- Special characters – !, ?, and & are some examples.
Maximise Your Experience on an Online Casino
Although you have no guarantee to win a lot of money while gambling, there are ways you can maximise your potential to succeed. Going in blind is not something we recommend. You need to manage your finances and have a strategy for games.
Manage Your Bankroll
To manage your online casino bankroll effectively, here are som good tips:
- Set a clear budget for your gambling activities. Don’t go over this budget.
- Use a completely separate account for your gambling funds, preventing the temptation to dip into money you shouldn’t use.
- Keep a clear record of your wins and losses to see if you are making an overall profit.
- Only bet small percentages of your gambling bankroll per game to make your sessions longer.
Be Strategic When Playing Online Casino Games
Put thought into casino games to have the best chances. Keep the following tips in mind when developing an excellent strategy for gambling online:
- Read the rules of every game before you play it; you may make mistakes and lose money if you don’t fully understand the rules.
- Choose the game types you prefer. For example, if you love skill-based games, go to the table games section and choose something like poker.
- Read up on progressive betting systems like the Martingale system. However, be very careful if you choose to use one of these, as misunderstanding them can result in you losing a lot of money.
- Practice on games with the demo modes.
- Set goals for how much you want to win. Be realistic with these goals, and don’t exceed them, even if you’re on a winning streak.
Final Verdict on Choosing the Best Online Casino in NZ in 2023
Choosing among the best online casinos can be challenging, especially if you are unfamiliar with all the companies.
Therefore, we recommend you use our list of the best online casinos to give yourself a great start.
Also, you should remember the critical aspects of online casinos if you want to do your research. To recap, these include:
- The casino games.
- The security and trustworthiness of online casino sites.
- The casino bonuses (deposit bonuses, for example).
- The available payment methods.
- The mobile options.
- The customer support options.
Once you decide on a casino site, remember to gamble responsibly and keep your details secure.
FAQs on NZ Online Casinos
The easiest way to check if you can trust a casino site in NZ is to check if it has an official licence.
For example, the best online casinos will have a licence from a reputable control board like the Malta Gaming Authority.
Usually, the largest offering of casino games on NZ casinos consists of online pokies.
There are multiple types of these, including progressive slots, jackpots, classic slots and more.
Other casino games include table games (poker and blackjack, for example), live casino games and video poker.
Every reputable online NZ casino will include a welcome bonus. However, they can differ in quality.
For example, some NZ casino sites may only offer 50% deposit bonuses instead of a 100% match.
Additionally, most welcome bonuses come with free spins, but they may be for a specific slot.
While only some online NZ casinos have a mobile app, mobile gaming is a massive trend in 2023, so expect to see more in the future.
Most NZ casino sites have a mobile site with optimised features but no app or exclusive bonus.
The quickest way to contact an online NZ casino is to use the live chat widget. You can usually find this at the bottom of an online NZ casino homepage. The response times can be as quick as less than a minute.
The best ways to improve your chances to win casino games online include:
- Read the rules of casino games.
- Choose the game types you are comfortable playing.
- Practice on games with the demo modes.
- Set goals for how much you want to win casino games.
Matthew Taylor is the lead editor behind Casinotoplist NZ, ensuring readers receive the most accurate and up-to-date information in the world of gambling. With a degree in advanced mathematics from the prestigious University of Auckland, Matthew possesses a unique blend of analytical prowess and a deep understanding of the intricacies of the casino industry.